Back to Job List
Berkshires Trails Programs
Ridgerunner- Appalachian Trail CT/MA
Apply for this Job
Appalachian Mountain Club
Southern New England Office
Berkshire Trails Program
Title: Appalachian Trail Ridgerunner (SW Mass. and Connecticut)
Job Dates: May 16 – August 28, 2015
Hiring Timeline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, starting in December. Interviews are held in January and February. Final notice is sent out by the end of March.
AMC Ridgerunners on the Appalachian Trail in Connecticut and the southern part of Massachusetts are a vital part of the management of the trail in these states. Ridgerunners live on the trail all summer, in ten-day shifts, hiking 8-15 miles per day and camping out at campsites along the way. Ridgerunners contact over 5,000 trail users annually, informing them of Leave No Trace principles, area regulations and trails, backpacking techniques, AT history, and management practices. Ridgerunners gather important information such as maintenance concerns and use patterns. They are the eyes and ears of the AT and the public face of the AMC.
Ridgerunners work ten days on with four days off, and weekend work is required. Duties include backpacking and camping, accurate collection of information including report writing, light trail maintenance, instructing Leave No Trace courses, and participation in volunteer trail work parties, among other duties. The position is from mid-May to late August and is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly position reporting to the AMC Regional Trails Supervisor.
- Backpack or day hike (depending on assigned route) up to 15 miles per day and camp in specified, designated camping areas for 10 days/nights in a row.
- Interact with as many backcountry visitors as possible, providing trail information and promoting Leave No Trace ethics.
- Lead Leave No Trace Awareness workshops and Leave No Trace Trainer courses for the public and volunteers, as needed.
- Assist with light trail maintenance including drainage and trail corridor clearing and participating in weekly trail work parties as needed.
- Foster professional relationships with local officials and AMC volunteers.
- Legibly fill out daily reports about trail conditions and backcountry use.
- Pack out litter from backcountry.
- Monitor and maintain backcountry waste management facilities and assist trail work crews.
- Other duties related to the care of the Appalachian Trail, as needed.
- Extensive backpacking experience, required.
- Solo back packing experience, required
- Willingness to work long hours in solitude, frequently in isolated areas, required.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation, required.
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR or Wilderness First Responder certifications, required (training can be provided by AMC prior to the start date at no-cost).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong desire and ability to work with the public.
- Ability to work unsupervised, to take initiative, and to work as part of a team.
- Ability to make professional decisions under pressure.
- Physically able to travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions carrying up to 50 lbs. of gear.
- Background in environmental sciences, natural resources or education, preferred.
- Strong interest in backcountry management, desirable.
- Knowledge of the Appalachian Trail, helpful.
- High School diploma, GED required.
Wage & Benefits
- $9/hr for 40/hr work weeks paid biweekly
- AMC Membership
- 30% Staff discount on AMC retail products
- 4 Free Nights at AMC Huts, Lodges and other facilities while employed
Questions and Additional Information
Alice P. Webber
Southern New England Trails Supervisor
P.O. Box 131
South Egremont, MA 01258
To apply, please fill out an online application at http://www.outdoors.org/seasonal or submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
AMC has zero tolerance for the abuse of children. Any employee with access to children will have a criminal record check performed and have references checked regarding their past work with children.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and an Equal Opportunity Service Provider. The AMC values diversity in the workplace.
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List