Back to Job List
Lead Culture Bearer - Subsistence (Part-Time)
Apply for this Job
The Lead Culture Bearer position will manage and supervise summer interns and will further be responsible for school/community/tour outreach and daily instruction of cultural education. The Lead Culture Bearer collaborates with program staff in planning, developing, and implementing programs and activities for visitors of all ages during the summer season. The Lead Culture Bearer will be placed in a variety of different positions across the organization including; Traditional Alaska Native song & Dance, Traditional Alaska Native Youth Olympics, Subsistence, Administration, Cultural Tourism and Cultural Education. The Lead Culture Bearer will help assist with COVID-19 mitigation efforts as listed in ANHC’s COVID-19 Mitigation Plan, including disinfecting high-touch areas regularly to ensure the safety of staff and guests.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Traditional Alaska Native Song & Dance Lead:
- Lead and supervise the Alaska Native Heritage Center (ANHC) dance group in all performances.
- Research, compose, and choreograph, teach, and rehearse songs and dances for the summer and/or winter interns.
- Oversee and maintain, regalia inventory, care, and maintenance.
- Arrange all logistics for off-site dance performances and supervise the summer and/or winter interns.
- When needed, create contracts for dance groups.
- Utilizing ANHC’s Cultural Rubrics to track dance group member’s progress; pre, mid, and post rubrics.
- When needed, drive the company vehicle to transport dancer’s to and from performances.
Traditional Native Youth Olympics Lead:
- Lead and coach the Alaska Native Heritage Center’s gaming team in all demonstrations.
- Oversee and maintain all of the gamer’s gear, care, and maintenance.
- Enforces safety and ensures the mitigation of injuries during all demonstrations.
- Arrange all logistics for off-site games demonstrations and supervise the summer and/or winter interns.
- Utilizing ANHC’s Cultural Rubrics to track gamer’s progress; pre, mid, and post rubrics.
- When needed, drive the company vehicle to transport gamer’s to and from demonstrations.
- Lead and supervise the Alaska Native Heritage Center’s subsistence group.
- Plan, implement, and facilitate all logistics of subsistence activities in the summer months for interns.
- Teach processing and storage of subsistence resources and proper cleanup.
- Oversee and maintain all of the subsistence equipment, care, and maintenance.
- When needed, drive the company vehicle to transport participants to and from demonstrations.
- Lead and supervise the Alaska Native Heritage Center’s admissions team.
- Responsible for opening and closing the till(s) to Admissions and Ch’k’iqadi Gallery, and as needed, getting change for the till(s).
- Responsible for maintaining the safe (only Accounting and Admission Lead has code to the safe).
- Responsible for meeting weekly with the Accounting Department to work on Daily Sales.
- Ensure the donation box is placed in the lobby at the start of the day; store donation box in the gift shop’s side office at the end of the day.
- Responsible for unlocking the main entrance doors at the start of the day; locking the main entrance doors at the end of the day.
- Notify the Manager when running low on brochures and/or shuttle schedule.
- Tracking lost and found items.
- Responsible for mentoring interns and demonstrating positive leadership and sportsmanship.
- When needed, provide a tour of the six traditional village sites.
- Additional duties as assigned based on needs of the business.
- Individual will need good communication skills; must be able to lead and instruct a group of youth interns in an effective manner.
- Knowledge of Alaska Native cultures.
- Individual must have the ability to work independently, multi-task and have the ability to use good judgment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
- 1-3 years of professional related experience.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to be ensured under ANHC’s insurance.
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List