Back to Job List
Apply for this Job
Under the direction of the Cultural Programs Manager, Coordinator, and program staff the intern position provides a variety of support functions for summer programming and activities for visitors of all ages during the summer season. Interns are placed in a variety of different positions across the organization including; Admissions, Administration, Tours, Cultural Education, the Ch’k’iqadi Gallery, Café, and Facility and Event Rentals. There are two levels of internship for the Alaska Native Heritage Center; Intern and Advanced Intern.
Interns support COVID-19 mitigation efforts as listed in ANHC’s COVID-19 Mitigation Plan, including disinfecting high-touch areas regularly to ensure the safety of staff and guests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets guests upon arrival and guides guests and tour guides to correct ticket window.
- Greets guests and provides a high level of customer service, answers general questions and directs traffic.
- Helps ensure that each coach driver turns in a voucher for their passengers.
- Maintains office manual which includes tasks, responsibilities and objectives for ticketing and admissions staff.
- Supports end of day reconciliation and close for admissions.
- Answer phone inquiries, direct calls, and provide basic administrative support.
- Assist in preparing information and research materials; creates and maintain PowerPoint presentations, flyers, and other collateral materials.
- Shadows multiple office positions and trains in a variety of administrative tasks.
- Supports special projects under the direction of the assigned manager.
- Greeting and welcoming guests to the tour.
- Informing guests of the itinerary for each tour.
- Provides tours to guests of the Alaska Native Heritage Center.
- Knowledge of the history and culture of the region and village sites.
- Ensuring guests are comfortable and safe.
- Ability to appropriately answer sensitive and inappropriate questions regarding Alaska Native history and culture and educate guests as necessary.
- Will monitor groups and ensure they don’t walk off or damage property.
- Helps facilitate educational opportunities that teach guests about traditional Alaska Native subsistence, art, plants, hunting, dancing, storytelling, games, etc.
- Additional duties as assigned based on needs of the business.
- Individual will need good communication skills both verbal and written; must be able to lead and instruct a group of youth interns in an effective manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to take initiative, multi-task, be a team-player, be flexible, adapt to shifting priorities, and prioritizing work.
- Understand ANHC’s mission, direction, and history or be willing to receive training.
- Be willing to learn, work and be always enthusiastic and helpful.
- Have good attendance, be punctual and dependable.
- Individual must have the ability to work independently, multi-task and have the ability to use good judgment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Indoors: Primarily in an environmentally controlled office;
- Outdoors: Ability to work outside in all weather conditions typical for Anchorage Alaska Summers.
- Employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
INTERN MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Passion for ANHC’s mission and values and a desire to learn more about Alaska Native Culture and history.
ADVANCED INTERN MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1-3 years of experience as an ANHC Intern.
- Knowledge of Alaskan Native culture, customs, and languages.
REQUIREMENTS (to be included as a part of the application packet):
2. Personal biography which includes information about: you, parents, grandparents, village(s) your family is from, town you were raised in, cultural affiliation, hobbies and school. (200 words or less)
3. Two letters of recommendation
4. Copy or photo of Tribal ID Card or Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB)
5. Photo of yourself
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List