Back to Job List
Ch'k'iqadi Gallery Manager
Apply for this Job
JOB TITLE: Ch’k’iqadi Gallery Manager
DEPARTMENT: Gift Shop
REPORT TO: Director of Operations
DATE REVISED: November 11, 2022
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt; full-time
Under the guidance of the Director of Operations, the Ch’k’iqadi Gallery Manager is responsible for leading a team of retail clerks to assist customers in shopping needs and serves as a working manager. The Manager oversees the daily operations of the gallery including the hiring and management of store employees, inventory management, ordering, creating buying plans, strategizing on marketing, and handling customer questions and complaints. The Gift Shop Manager also spends time on the floor, checking out guests at the register, restocking inventory and engaging shoppers who visit the gift shop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruiting, interviewing, hiring, disciplining, and firing staff in partnership with Human Resources.
- Creates employee schedules, supervises, and disciplines gift shop personnel, and provides feedback through evaluations.
- Assigns and delegates responsibilities to employees and ensures tasks are carried out.
- Trains new employees and provides ongoing training for employees.
- Successfully train and demonstrate good sales techniques by performing suggestive selling and add-on sales.
- Maintain proper shop records: reports, payroll, and inventory control.
- Receive direct deliveries from suppliers and processes the necessary documentation, such as invoices. Make certain that paperwork is routed correctly and in a timely manner.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with other departments across the organization.
- Inventory control, management, receiving and merchandise display.
- Stock product as necessary, make sure all displays are kept stocked, neat and clean.
- Provide and ensure excellent customer service by adhering and training to ANHC’s values and hospitality standards.
- Organizes plan for the display and presentation of merchandise with consideration to established marketing plan and for effective support of sales; changes displays regularly with a consideration to buying audience and season; supervises and works with staff stocking and displaying merchandise.
- Serves as buyer, meeting with vendors and product representatives to select marketable goods and gifts appropriate to the potential buying audience, season of the year and recognized customer demand.
- Creates and recommends buying strategies and plans to ANHC leadership.
- Works in partnership with the communications and development department to create marketing and advertising campaigns for attracting new customers and retaining current customers and helping to create both in and outside store promotions for attracting customers.
- Represents ANHC at outside events and bazaars in the community and plans staffing accordingly.
- Manages ANHC’s online Gallery shop and oversees inventory and ordering management.
- Ensure a safe working area. Keeping sales floor clean, this includes sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, mopping, and trash removal.
- Give accurate helpful information to ANHC visitors.
- Other tasks and duties based on the needs of the business.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including professional written communication skills, proper grammar usage, vocabulary, and spelling.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a part of and to lead a team.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office Suite, on-line applications, and events software.
- Able to successfully communicate across departments and identify opportunities to co-design workflows.
- Outgoing and positive go-getter attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people of diverse backgrounds in a professional manner.
- Provides excellent customer service even when under pressure.
- Manages difficult situations; solicits feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance including client grievance and meets commitments in a timely manner.
- Is dedicated to finding solutions and focuses on solving conflict, not blaming, maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting, is emotionally intelligent and remains open to others ideals.
- Graduation from high school, supplemented by courses in merchandising and business administration; considerable experience in supervisor work and in sales and buying for retail; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of merchandising techniques, store display and selling methods.
- Considerable knowledge of retail management, promotion and marketing methods.
- Good knowledge of merchandise buying procedures and product market values.
- Knowledge of administrative procedures, personnel management and supervisory techniques.
- Superior ability to supervise the work of others.
- Considerable ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
ANHC Core Competencies: Commitment to Excellence, Values, Communication, Cultural Competence.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Indoors: Primarily in an environmentally controlled office and gallery.
- Employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field, Relevant experience may be substituted for education requirement.
- 5 years relevant experience in retail, sales, marketing, or a related field.
- 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of Alaska, Alaska’s history, and Alaskan Native culture, customs and languages.
- 5+ years relevant experience in retail, sales, marketing or a related field.
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List