Back to Job List
Summer Cultural Ambassador
Apply for this Job
Under the direction of the Cultural Programs Managers, Coordinator, and program staff the Cultural Ambassador position provides a variety of support functions for ANHC cultural programming and activities for visitors of all ages primarily during the summer season. Cultural Ambassadors promote and uphold ANHC values and support organizational mission by supporting cultural programming. Cultural Ambassadors support a variety of ANHC programming including map introductions, tours, games, cultural demonstrations and are placed in a variety of different departments across the organization including but not limited to; Social Enterprise, Cultural Tourism, and Cultural Education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote cultural tourism and cultural exchange by welcoming visitors from other places, providing them with information about local customs, and help them feel comfortable in their new surroundings.
- Preserves Alaska Native heritage by promoting awareness of historical events and traditions through performances, ceremonies, tours and ANHC programming.
- Promotes arts and culture by organizing and supporting events such as dancing, workshops, gaming, and cultural classes.
- Supports educational programs on topics including the history of culture, music, dance, art, and traditional practices.
- Organizes educational programs and special events intended to raise funds to support ANHC mission and cultural programming.
- Helps create a positive and inclusive work environment that is respectful of all cultures specifically Alaska Native and American Indian cultures.
- Supports school visits and educational field trips within ANHC.
- Coordinates with other staff members to ensure that events run smoothly and are enjoyed by all participants.
- Additional duties as assigned based on the needs of the business.
- Individual will need good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Strong customer service, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to take initiative, multi-task, be a team-player, be flexible, adapt to shifting priorities, and prioritizing work.
- Individual must have the ability to work independently, multi-task and have the ability to use good judgment.
- Have a strong understanding of the culture they represent to ensure they are representing the culture accurately.
- Understand ANHC’s mission, direction, and history or be willing to receive training.
- Be willing to learn, work and be always enthusiastic and helpful.
- Have good attendance, be punctual and dependable.
- High standards of honesty, integrity, and responsibility
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Indoors: Primarily in an environmentally controlled office;
- Outdoors: Ability to work outside in all weather conditions typical for Anchorage Alaska Summers.
- Employees are required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
- Passion for ANHC’s mission and values and a desire to learn more about Alaska Native Culture and history.
REQUIREMENTS (to be included as a part of the application packet):
2. Personal biography which includes information about: you, parents, grandparents, village(s) your family is from, town you were raised in, cultural affiliation, hobbies, and school. (200 words or less)
3. One letters of recommendation
4. (Optional) Copy or photo of Tribal ID Card or Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB)
5. Photo of yourself
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List