Back to Job List
Purchasing Manager - Hotel *Seattle*
Apply for this Job
As a member of the Supply Chain Operation Group, the Purchasing Manager Hotel is responsible for all onboard hotel department purchasing of consumables and equipment, including bid research, selection, order placement, and shipping coordination.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Additional duties may be added or assigned at any time.
- Fulfills properly approved all vessel requisitions for hotel department including: food, non-food, office, hotel & galley equipment, printed materials, gift shop, wellness and expedition supplies. On foreign vessels, uniforms may also be included or overseen using the ship management company.
- Obtains bids for all orders and reviews to make purchasing decisions. Follow a three-bid system on new items, in new regions and at the start of seasons reviewing with supervisors for planning.
- Places vessel provision orders and coordinates fulfillment with selected vendors.
- Purchases guest amenities, all hotel supplies, and special project items as requested.
- Provides purchasing support for any local vessel hotel services (fresh flowers, carpet cleaning, copier/printer repair, coffee & laundry equipment service, soda systems, Ecolab, etc.)
- Purchases office furnishings as requested.
- Plan provisioning schedule for best use of ports, logistics and cost management in coordination with Port Ops and Logistics Manager, Port Ops Manager and Inventory Control Manager.
- Organize customs manifests for all shipments with detailed and accurate information.
- Provides additional support for the Supply Chain Operations as requested.
- Primary back up to other Purchasing Managers as directed by Director of Supply Chain Operations.
- It is expected that this position will participate in future cross-training activities with the technical buying side of purchasing.
- Conducts product research and make recommendations.
- Maintains order guides and continually updates and improves product specifications.
- Place provision orders as planned.
- Interfaces between vendors, Manager Hotel Services, Director of Hotel Services and outside food and beverage support.
- Continually evaluates sources of supply and research new provision possibilities.
- Visits vendors at times and verifies the quantity and quality of provisions, organization, packing and operational efficiency.
- Insures proper specifications are adhered to in all deliveries.
- Follow up with vessel after each delivery, communicate concerns to vendors. Provide follow up support to vessels as needed.
- Track and communicate food costs to Head Chef, Hotel Manager and supervisors. Alert Manager Hotel Services and Director, Hotel Services of overages or concerns.
- Visits the vessels to insure efficiency of the order and inventory process and maintain controls on all supplies as directed.
- Develops seasonal purchasing requirements and specifications, explores bulk purchasing opportunities and/or contract arrangements
- Manages provision vendor relations, negotiate pricing in collaboration with Director Hotel Services, Other Purchasing Managers and Director of Supply Chain Operations as required.
- Evaluate and improve ship order procedures, continuity of orders, and efficiency of the ordering process
Hotel Dept upgrade/refurbishment projects & shipyard support
- Provides support for vessel projects (RAMP feedback and management, budget research, actual purchasing and shipment coordination)
- Provides remote shipyard purchasing support activities as needed (liaison with onsite Technical Purchasing representative) or other departments as required.
- Manages administrative tasks of purchasing, including tracking packing slips, ensuring purchases are received as ordered and pricing matches purchase order commitment(s)
- Reviews and approves invoices, follows up with vendors to rectify pricing or payment term discrepancies following Accounting Department policy and procedure.
- On domestic vessels, process the renewal of vessel liquor licenses in each state as required.
- Communicates with onboard personnel regarding requisition status and anticipated delivery details
- Coordinates and supports other purchasing, inventory and port operations personnel as needed.
Preferred - Qualifications /Education / Experience
Preferred Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain, Business Management. 3 or more years previous marine industry purchasing experience, preferably in a passenger vessel environment. Experience in food and beverage purchasing and/or hotel or restaurant purchasing preferred.
Required - Qualifications /Education / Experience
Associates Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or 2-3 years hospitality purchasing experience, preferably in passenger vessel environment.
Using the English language, this person must have an ability to read, write, and comprehend order specifications, catalogues, invoices, correspondence, and memos. Must also possess the ability to effectively communicate--both in writing and orally--with a professional demeanor. Sound yet fair negotiating skills desired.
Strong skills in data base management, data entry, typing, and organizational filing. Knowledge of NS5 and RESCO systems preferred but not required.
Proficient computer skills in the Windows operating system, including both word-processing and spreadsheet applications.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee will also be required to write and type. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Strong skills in time management, handling multiple tasks, setting priorities, and meeting deadlines.
The ability to work independently as well as with others in a team environment.
Occasional travel may be required.
Must possess or be able to obtain a valid driver's license.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills or abilities required of persons so classified or assigned.
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List