Back to Job List
Snow Surfaces Director
Apply for this Job
Manage Sugar Bowl’s Snowmaking, Grooming and Terrain Park departments as well as on-mountain capital projects.
Assure these departments maintain a high standard of excellence, delivering a consistent, high-quality snow surface for our skiing and riding guests. This is a hands-on position; your product and production must be of the highest level. You will work closely with numerous operating departments, including but not limited to Race Department, Sugar Bowl Ski Team, Lift Maintenance, Lift Operations, Ski Patrol, Village Services and Base Area Maintenance. You will work directly with the Mountain Operations Executive Director to; assure financial responsibility and maintain a safe, fun and productive work environment. During the summer months, you oversee snowmaking system development, maintenance and summer trail crew operations. You will also be asked to assist in planning, coordinating and supervision of yearly on-hill capital projects.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to lead a happy, safe and productive crew.
- Extensive knowledge of snowmaking systems utilizing the latest technologies as well as knowledge of snowmaking system development, efficiency, data collection, maintenance and repair.
- Extensive knowledge of grooming techniques.
- Excellent operational skills in all grooming equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of Terrain Park feature design, build and maintenance.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment such as but not limited to; loader, backhoe, dozer, grader and grooming tractor.
- Energetic, friendly and outgoing with strong interpersonal skills.
- Valid drivers license with a clean record.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions on extreme terrain.
- Must be able to ski or snowboard all groomed runs.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure the Snowmaking, Slope Grooming and Terrain Park departments achieve established operational, safety, service, documentation and monetary goals.
- Ensure staff is highly productive and the quality of the work is outstanding.
- Ensure equipment is safe, reliable, productive, ready for work as needed and well maintained cosmetically through prioritizing repairs and employing an effective PM maintenance schedule.
- Maintain a safe work environment; produce, conduct and document weekly in-house safety meetings.
- Coordinate and administer staff schedules.
- Hire, train, coordinate departmental orientations and on-going training to deliver a high-quality Terrain Parks and snow surface.
- Ensure compliance with all County, State, and Federal rules and regulations that pertain to the operation.
- Document grooming, terrain park and snowmaking activities to analyze efficiencies and effectiveness of crew members.
- Maintain a consistent presence of family-oriented Terrain, Terrain Parks and Snow Play.
- Source equipment, parts, supplies, manuals and tools. Work with vendors to obtain the best price and quality available for inventory.
- Maintain good records of, utilize and secure needed warranties for equipment and their components.
- Ensure proper daily documentation of work orders are completed by all shop staff.
- Help plan, coordinate and supervisor Summer Trail Crew operations.
- Act as the Project Manager for on-mountain capital projects.
- Work closely with Lift Operations Manager and staff ensuring their ramp needs are met and loading/unloading areas allow maximum lift transport efficiency.
- Work closely with the Race Director and the Sugar Bowl Ski Team to ensure their daily needs are met regarding grooming, race preparation, watering and arranging to have grooming equipment clear of certain hills for early chairs.
- Work closely with the Ski Patrol Director to ensure Patrol is positioned for timely AC and to fulfill their grooming needs i.e. berms, fresh passes along rope lines and early a.m. passes in and out of explosives containment.
- Work closely with Village Services and Base Area Maintenance. Ensure their staff is properly trained and their daily grooming needs are met.
- Maintain good communication with the Marketing Department with regards to runs groomed, grooming conditions and snow accumulations.
- Attend all management meetings and trainings and adhere to company policies
We are located at 8,000 feet elevation, you must be hardy, resilient and LOVE snow!
We are located on the summit of Donner Pass, near Truckee, California. Sugar Bowl has on site housing for a limited number of key seasonal positions, please check with your interviewer after you apply for a position to learn if you are eligible. Most of these units are dorm-style, with shared facilities.
If you are a qualified candidate with the resort experience we seek, and you want to join a great team on a terrific mountain, send your resume or contact our hiring manager directly at HR@SugarBowl.Com.
Sugar Bowl is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List