Back to Job List
Senior Director / VP, Human Resources
Apply for this Job
Senior Director/VP of Human Resources
Gardiner or Bozeman, Montana
President & CEO
Full-Time / Regular / Exempt
Yellowstone Forever is the official nonprofit partner of Yellowstone National Park. We partner with Yellowstone National Park to create opportunities for all people to experience, enhance, and preserve Yellowstone forever. Our combined operations include 11 educational Park Stores with gross sales of over $5.1 million; the Yellowstone Forever Institute, which offers more than 600 in-depth programs each year; a supporter program of over 50,000 Yellowstone enthusiasts raising funds to support critical park priority projects; and an online community of over 300,000 worldwide. Yellowstone Forever has provided over $100 million of cash support and over $55 million of in-kind support since 1933. Our mission of engagement and support through education and fundraising for the park will ensure Yellowstone remains for generations to come.
The Senior Director/VP of Human Resources plays a critical role in fostering Yellowstone Forever’s workplace culture and the recruitment, hiring, and engagement of employees and volunteers. This position leads a Human Resources (HR) team which proactively develops and manages initiatives, programs, and policies to measure and enhance staff performance, consistent with best practices. The Director/VP of Human Resources closely partners with the President & CEO and senior staff to develop and implement programs, policies, trainings, and services to help enhance the staff experience, in order to attract, develop, engage, and retain the uniquely talented people required to achieve the mission of Yellowstone Forever. This position is lead for overseeing recruiting, payroll/benefits administration, staff performance management, staff engagement, workplace culture initiatives, staff relations, and legal/regulatory compliance around employment. Further, this position will lead recruitment and management of our volunteers, and related support. This position is a member of the senior leadership team of Yellowstone Forever, and provides guidance on related matters to the President and CEO and other senior leaders. The ability to direct multiple priorities with minimal supervision is essential. Success in this position requires outstanding organizational skills, initiative, deep knowledge of employment and volunteer practices, interpersonal relationship building, and proven leadership skills. The position also will require visibility in the workplace to build rapport with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Maintain an expert understanding in Yellowstone Forever’s desired workplace culture, and work closely with the President & CEO and senior staff to create long-term strategies and drive key initiatives to promote and achieve a culture of excellence and employee engagement.
- Monitor staff and volunteer feedback, relevant data, and metrics to share with leadership and identify areas for improvement.
- Drive high levels of workforce performance and enrich staff engagement by developing, implementing and overseeing employee and volunteer programs including recruitment, hiring, orientation/onboarding, organizational development and regular performance management.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in the design, development, implementation, administration, and communication of YF’s total rewards programs, including payroll/benefits management, in addition to management of employee and volunteer housing needs.
- Partner with leadership to ensure appropriate staffing levels are achieved while managing the compensation program with consideration to internal and external equity.
- Develop and manage annual budgets and timelines.
- Work with leadership and hiring managers to recruit and select talented employees and volunteers.
- Coach supervisors on the handling of performance and disciplinary issues, including developing templates, trainings, and guidelines for performance documentation.
- Maximize efficiency and effectiveness of programs that effect volunteers and employees.
- Develop and maintain updated orientation and development programs, including developing regular trainings, which enhance employee performance and volunteer services.
- Develop and motivate HR team to achieve optimal performance.
- Effectively and timely communicate relevant HR related information across the organization.
- Oversee tracking and fulfilling federal and state filing requirements related to employment, coordinating as needed with legal/finance.
- Lead initiatives to periodically review and update the Employee and Volunteer handbooks, tracking and incorporating applicable developments in employment law and industry best practices.
- Work closely with finance on retirement plan administration, including coordinating delivery of required communications to plan participants and lead the annual plan audit.
- Lead review of employee concerns and complaints, coordinating as needed with legal, to address and mitigate potential risks.
- Represent Yellowstone Forever and its mission accurately and positively
- Foster a collaborative, team-oriented environment with YF employees, volunteers and partners
- Travel into Yellowstone, throughout the Greater Yellowstone area and other, as required
- Other tasks as assigned by the President & CEO or other designated leadership
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and SPHR, SHRM-SCP, or other relevant certification
- Eight or more years of Human Resources Management experience in a nonprofit setting with both employees and volunteers
- Significant knowledge of laws, regulations, compliance standards, and best practices related to employment and volunteer management
- Experience with payroll and benefits administration, including ERISA retirement plan administration and annual audits.
- Experience with managing employee relations matters, including internal investigations
- Experience with coaching leadership
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent supervisory competence
- Ability to direct multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, with initiative
- Proven ability to quickly learn and apply new systems, processes, and applications
- Demonstrated capability in process improvement
- Self-motivated with a sound approach to problem solving and timely task completion
- Ability to occasionally work a flexible schedule, which may include nights and weekends
- Ability to represent YF in a courteous and professional manner
- This position involves driving YF vehicles, therefore applicants must hold and maintain a valid US driver’s license, and maintain a favorable driving record for insurance purposes
- A satisfactory criminal background check are conditions of employment
- Proven experience with building and implementing successful staff culture programs
- Experience and familiarity with Montana employment law
- Knowledge of Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone Forever is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, political beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Apply for this Job
Back to Job List